Sunday, October 7, 2007

Motivation Helper

I want to share something with you that has been a tool of mine for over ten years and really comes in handy when I need a 'pick me up' or some motivation. It is a 'Success Journal' and whenever I accomplish something I am proud of, I write it in this journal. Some of the journal entries are dollar figures for product sales after a speech I gave, how I handled myself in a situation, tests of endurance that I saw through without quitting, business deals that were BIG for me or other goals accomplished.

I don't look at this journal often, however, in the last few weeks I have and it has really picked me up. I have committed myself to a task recently that if I said it was an endurance test would be an understatement, furthermore, a large part of the task plays to my weaknesses. So I have been getting incredibly frustrated and discouraged - and doubt about my abilities has snuck its way into my mind. Then just as it does I open up the 'Success Journal' and I am reminded of the cool things I have accomplished. Some I had forgotten and it was nice to be reminded.

You see, in life it is easy to get discouraged when all you look at is your current situation. On the other hand, when I go back and read this journal it reminds me of my past successes and my confidence shoots up. This boost in confidence is all I need to tackle the day in the hopes of another entry in my journal. It is your choice - you can allow the things you struggle with and difficulties in life to define you or you can remind yourself of the positives. It is a choice.

One lesson I have been reminded of as I work through this task is this: never forget who you are. Do not allow your current circumstances to define or negate a life full of accomplishments. I have also learned to avoid tackling tasks that play to weaknesses. While it is great to learn new skills - in life it is often more profitable to outsource your weakness. If you don't you will create a life full of frustration. Oh...I am 63.8% of the way through my current task that is the source of my frustration (but who is counting right?). When I complete this task it will be a BIG journal entry as having completed a test of endurance! I assure you that I will be looking at that journal many more times in the near future to get through this challenge and I encourage you to create one for yourself.

Get yourself a 'Success Journal' and start documenting your accomplishments and who you are today!

Go for More this Week!
Ron White

If you would like to subscribe to Ron's ezine, send an email to: ronwhite@yoursuccessstore.com

No comments: